My neighbour’s daughter sent me a memo recently about what she would do every quarter about our out of school children if her father was governor of the state. Below are the highlights of her idea:
- Convert every unused accommodation in the Government House into makeshift classrooms for the children
- Convert every considerable space into temporary hostels, the kind that late Mrs. Ibidun Ighodalo built as shelters to house Covid-19 infected persons
- Create a time-table that allows the children use the sporting and recreational facilities in the Government House, in a way that does not clash with those statutorily empowered by law to use those facilities
- Expertly determine the natural propensities of the children so that the curriculum is specially tailored to deliberately harness, nurture and grow them.
- Mobilize workers and staff working in the Government House to volunteer as teachers of these children
- Mobilize her parents to support the idea, especially the bit about feeding the children two times a day
- Reach out to other children of governors across the country, and encourage them to replicate the idea in their states